Ah, the power of wood mulch. Not only is it like the frosting on the cake for your yard, it is also extremely beneficial to the health of your landscaping. Fresh wood mulch applied neatly throughout your landscaping just ties your yard together, with plenty of added bonuses. The great news? Through May 3, we’re having a 25% off sale on wood mulch of all varieties. Buy it by the bag or get it in bulk. We have delivery options or you can pick it up at our Garden Center.
If you are wondering how, where and why to use mulch, here are some handy tips from the pros:
- Apply mulch in a layer approximately two to three inches thick to maximize weed control and reduce moisture evaporation. Reducing the sunlight that reaches the soil will help prevent seed germination and weed growth.
- Mulching around trees can help prevent damage from weed eaters chewing up the bark at ground level. Damaged tree bark at soil level inhibits moisture and nutrients from reaching the top of the tree where growth occurs. Large wood mulch rings around trees make mowing easier while eliminating trimming.
- Wood mulch keeps the soil cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Summers in South Dakota are hot, especially July and August, so it's important to reduce the temperatures of the soil to help maintain moisture levels and facilitate healthy plants.
- Proper landscape mulching can prevent water run-off from removing soil and undermining landscape block walls and other yard features. The fibrous make-up of wood mulch helps it "lock" together and not be washed away by downspouts and on hilly terrain.
- Bagged mulch is convenient for small areas in your yard, but if you need more than a cubic yard then bulk mulch is the way to go. There is no packaging waste with bulk mulch, and it can be deposited wherever you need it with a gardener’s cart or wheelbarrow.
- Wood mulch naturally decomposes over time and this adds organic matter to your soil. South Dakota has heavy clay soils in most areas and the addition of wood mulch helps loosen the soil and make it better for plantings. The extra organic material is also hospitable to earthworms, which also aid in aeration of the soil.
If you’re ready to mulch, now is a great time—especially with our 25% off sale through May 3. You can shop in person, call for curbside pick-up or order a bulk delivery.